a. Of a person's look, gaze, or aspect: directed downwards, lowered. Frequently in down look.Sometimes with specific connotations of scorn, sheepishness, or dejection; cf. downlooked adj., downlooking adj., and to look down on at look v. Phrasal verbs 1.
b. gen. Moving or directed downwards; descending.For earlier compounds where the prefix down- used in a similar sense, see down- prefix 4b.
c. Of a train or coach: travelling away from the capital or principal terminus; of or relating to such trains or coaches.
e. Of a crossword clue or answer: that fills or is intended to fill the spaces down a vertical line of the puzzle. Cf. down adv. 1c, across adj.
†2. Downright, absolute, complete. Cf. even down adj. 2, right-down adj. Obsolete. rare.
a. Of a person's mood, feelings, etc.: characterized by depression or despondency; dejected, dispirited; low. Cf. down adv. 17b.
b. Chiefly U.S. colloq. Causing or characterized by depression, despondency, or lack of vigour; depressing, dispiriting. Cf. down n.4 1c.
4. Designating an initial payment for something bought on credit or paid for in instalments. Chiefly in down payment. Cf. down adv. 7a.
5. Designating a period or occasion during which the price or value of something (esp. stocks, shares, etc.) falls or remains low.Cf. down market n.
6. Designating a period or occasion when something (such as a factory, machine, computer system, etc.) is out of operation or unavailable for use, or when normal work, activity, or productivity ceases or is less intense.Recorded earliest in down-time (see downtime n.).
7. colloq. (orig. and chiefly U.S.). Of a person: smart, well-informed, hip; following the latest trends and fashion. Also, of a thing: fashionable, stylish, cool. Cf. down adv. 29.
8. Particle Physics. Designating a quark distinguished by a characteristic flavour (flavour n. 5) and having a relatively small mass and an electric charge of -⅓. Cf. down n.6
down button n. a button in a lift which, when pressed, causes the lift to descend to a lower floor; (also) a button outside a lift which summons it to go down.
down card n. Cards (chiefly Poker) a playing card dealt face down; opposed to up-card n.
down dog n. Yoga a position in which the body assumes an inverted-V shape, with the hands and feet on the floor, and the buttocks pointing upwards; = downward dog n. at downward adv., adj., and prep. Compounds 2.
downforce n. a force that acts downwards, esp. on a moving vehicle; (Motor Racing) a force produced as air rushes over a car, which has the effect of increasing grip with the road surface, allowing the car to move through a corner at a high speed.
► indicates date of composition for this text (as opposed to date of documentary evidence). More